Head of Manufacturing: Ambitious and growing Social Enterprise, Multiple Brands, B2C & B2B
Location: Highams Park, London
Closing: Friday the 22nd of June, 2018
To apply send your CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking for a highly capable Head of Manufacturing to oversee the end-to-end operations of our London based semi-automated manufacturing site.
We are a not-for-profit organisation that provides training and work opportunities for people who are visually impaired, have disabilities or are otherwise disadvantaged. This is achieved through the manufacturing of a range of toiletries and cleaning products and a supportive workplace which develops the skills, confidence and independence of our workforce. Socially, our charity is a leading example of ‘social enterprise’ and ‘business for good’ in action with all revenue staying within the organisation to create more jobs and strengthen our impact in the future.
Our core brands are CLARITY, The Soap Cọ, BECỌ (launching June 2018), and The Soap Cọ Keswick – a traditional workshop in the Lake District. We also produce white labelled, co-created and contract manufactured products. We supply a range of businesses including corporates, retailers, restaurants and hotels.
The more CLARITY – The Soap Cọ products we sell, the more people with disabilities we can train and employ, and since 1854 we have supported 1000s of people with disabilities through employment and training. We have multiple routes to market, strong product brands, a loyal consumer base and a blossoming business client base. Commercially, our business is in a strong growth phase, hoping to take us from a £3m to a £4-5m in the next 24 months – this summer we are entering national supermarkets across the UK. A highly capable Head of Manufacturing is thereby vital in underpinning our ambitious commercial and social goals.
In this role, you will lead and motivate an operations team of roughly 60 people – 80% of our staff have a disability or long-term health condition. You will report directly to the CEO and sit on the SLT.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing the end-to-end operations of our London based semi-automated production and manufacturing site including:
- Strategic sourcing of materials and components with key suppliers.
- Supplier engagement and relationship building.
- Planning and implementation of production schedules to meet customer requirements – including inventory holdings and stock level management.
- Forward planning of labour and machine capacities to meet customer demand volumes.
- Client engagement and relationship building.
- Managing the technical development of existing and new CLARITY – The Soap Cọ Products.
- Ensuring best practice health and safety and quality controls: including ISO 9001 and other best practice accreditations.
- Providing leadership and upskilling team members.
- Working at the strategic level with the senior leadership team.
You will have at least seven years’ experience of managing a manufacturing / production environment ideally within the soap and toiletries market. You will have a solid understanding of financial and operational issues being able to demonstrate good business acumen, IT and project skills. You must be motivated by working in a business with a strong social purpose and completely driven to achieve excellent results and make a big difference.
To be a successful applicant you will be able to demonstrate:
- Minimum of 7 years manufacturing management.
- Experience within the soap and toiletries sector (or similar).
- Lean Manufacturing experience.
- Experience of purchasing / supply chain management.
- Experience of low to medium output of product.
- Demonstrate experience of lead time reductions.
- Experience of workshop activities including general machining.
- Experience of Production Control and ERP system and stores / stock management.
- Excellent people management skills, having previously held people management roles.
- Excellent communication skills, commercial and pragmatic approach.
- Commercially literate with the ability to balance commercial and charitable needs.
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritise workloads and meet deadlines.
- IT skills: Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint at an intermediate to advanced level. Experience of ERP and CRM software is desirable.
- Passion for social change and feeling of urgency to act today rather than tomorrow.
- The ability to operate with gravitas at a senior level within the organisation.
A bit more about the role and us:
We welcome applicants with and without disabilities and are able to offer individualised working arrangements. CLARITY – The Soap Cọ is a great place to work – we are an equal opportunity employer and are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
You will be required to commute to other CLARITY – The Soap Cọ offices and travel throughout the UK and abroad when necessary. There will on occasion be a requirement to work extended hours and flexibility will be required.
Come and join us at the forefront of social enterprise manufacturing, bringing your commercial acumen to create vital jobs.